Saturday, January 3, 2015

Baking Workshop

Activity: Baking Workshop
Date: December 12, 2014 (Friday)
Time: 3 Hours
Type: Group (with friends)
Organization: Cake Cake Family (LINK)

Hours:  3 hours - Creative

On Friday, I went with a couple of my friends to a baking workshop in Tin Hao to learn how to bake chocolate cookies and cupcakes (and the icing that went on top of the cupcakes).

Learning outcomes:

4)Worked collaboratively with others 
While baking, I worked collaboratively with my friends to ensure that we put the correct amount of each ingredient. When one of us messed up and poured too much, we worked together to correct the mistake. We also split up the work between all of us, with some making the frosting while others helped to make the cupcakes, so that people weren't sitting around waiting for someone else to finish up a step.

Since the lady who was teaching us how to bake could only speak Cantonese, some of the better speakers translated the instructions into English so that we could follow. In this way, everyone was able to take part in the activity and no one was left out, meaning that in the end, we were all involved in making the cookies and cupcakes.

8)Developed new skills or increased expertise in an established area

 During the workshop, I increased my knowledge on how to make different baked goods and developed new skills on how to make frosting and cupcakes, since all the times I had made cupcakes or frosting in the past, I had "cheated" and used the box mix with store bought frosting.

I was actually surprised how easy it was to actually make cupcakes without the box mix, as I had always assumed it would be a very long complicated recipe and never bothered to learn. The same thing happened with the icing, which made me wonder why anyone would pay to buy the store bought icing instead of just doing it at home. I will definitely be making more baked treats in the future and improving my baking skills!

-Rebecca
             

No comments:

Post a Comment